Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Invitation To The Blues

"I never caught a glimpse of how the others see the faker, I'm much to fast to take that test..."

I've had one of those moments were I saw myself as others may see me; UBER GEEK is what I saw.

As well as the 100 movies post below, I was trying to pick a title for the above post [and round robin email] about my departure from Birmingham and return to Bristol. Why this title was SO important I have no idea but I was determinded to pick the most apt quote. There were many contenders:

"Same old thing in brand new drag" David Bowie, Teenage Wildlife
"Time to Ramble On" Led Zepplin
"The start is new but the pay's the same as it was so long ago" Led Zepplin
Everything old is new again
The Boy Is Back in Town
Heeerrreee's thefatman
Guess Whose Back
"Guess who just got back today"
"New Career In A New Town" Bowie, Low
"Invitation to the Blues" Tom Waits
"It was a train that took me away from here" Tom Waits

etc etc etc

Anyway 'Return of The Fat White Duke' was the most appropiate. But I doubt anyone reading this will know, and certainly care, why it is.

Probably the majority of readers know that David Bowie was for a while in his carreer refered to as The Thin White Duke; and that I am a massive Bowie fan. But how many know that it comes from the song 'Station to Station' from the album of the same name. And how many know what the next line is and/or why that and thin maybe relevant. I don't think I know anyone reading this blog or who got the email would get all those references. Obviously the lyrics of Station to Station aren't hard to find . But who would look them up and know my current state of mind etc...

So why did I waste my time; who knows! But it pleases my inner geek.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home