Sunday, January 21, 2007

While I've been away...

So here is my round up of 2006...

OK, so I began the year having just finished the last run of the play I produced 'Love and Understanding' returning to Casualty a bit bored and a bit frustrated. I was the show's Serial Researcher, a job I'd created but a title I never liked to many connotations of Henry: Portrait of a Serial... I had always tried to push the job beyond its initial description, firmly believing any job is what you make it, and I was script editing an episode which is what I really wanted to be doing, but I still had to carry on doing all the other bits. Anyway my boredom and frustration was clearly showing, which is never good, so when jobs came up I started applying...

I more or less got the first job; 'Assistant Script Editor' on 'Doctors' the daytime drama which on paper and in title looked like a promotion, when I got there [Birmingham] however it really felt more like a step down rather than sideways or up. That said I did get to work with writers more, read speculative and trial scripts and I script edited a number of episodes that will transmit early 2007. I was still feeling a bit constrained/bored though...

I clearly started a trend at 'Casualty' because within weeks of my leaving two Script Editors and a Researcher announced they were leaving. So I applied for and got one of the Script Editor jobs... so exactly 4 months after arriving in Birmingham I was back in Bristol and back on Casualty... where I have been script editing now since August [the first of my episodes goes out 6th Jan; it has a shark in it, don't ask...].

But now, less than 6 months later, I'm very proud to announce I have yet another promotion to Series Editor of 'Casualty'. I am definitely no longer frustrated and certainly not bored... In fact I'm a little bit scared but then it wouldn't be worth doing if it weren't a challenge... I'm actually gonna be someone, well 8 people's, boss as well as being responsible for the telling of all the long running stories... indeed all the scripts on the show... ARGGH its now all my fault... Well not quite, I can still blame the Producers, the Story Producer, the Series Producer, the Executive Producer, the Series Consultant... etc etc etc

There is probably other stuff to say about girl friends, trips to New York [yes I finally ventured on holiday for the 1st time in 6yrs; BA lost my luggage...], music, theatre, flats, over 3 1/2st weight loss...

but I'm not sure I can be bothered you'll just have to ring me or something... Anyway seasons greetings to you all. Hope you are all bursting at the seams with turkey and sprouts...

See you in 2007!!


2 Comments:

Blogger Monsterwork said...

I think the show needs more abused children in toxic waste situations.

Perhaps a father who illeagally transports cargo falls asleep at the wheel of his truck which causes a multi-car pile up on a motorway at night. His daughter is in the cab at the time and is bathed in toxic waste that spills from the trailer. When the doctors examine her they find out she is pregnant with her father's child. He is taken away by the police and she is left blind and scarred over about 80% of her body alone in the ward.

What do you think. Too cheery? I know, there wasn't an old man who loses his wife and has no-one to look after him anymore. I really wanted to fit that in somehow.

9:24 pm  
Blogger thefatman said...

I'll bare it in mind.

I also personally think the show needs more T&A and cyborgs with big guns too.

12:48 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home